Logan County, located in western Ohio, is rich with history, natural beauty and cultural attractions. Many historic American Indians called Logan County home. The first known villages appeared along the Mad River and throughout the beautiful hills and valleys in the 1760s and 1770s. The state officially formed the boundaries of the county in 1817 and named it after General Benjamin Logan.
The county continued to grow throughout the 19th century. Most of the residents in the county were in farming and related businesses. Many small villages began to appear throughout the county. In the 1800âs, a larger group settled in what had been known as Blue Jacketâs Town. As this area continued to grow, it was named Bellefontaine (beautiful spring in French) and became the county seat. In the 1890âs, The Big Four Railroad Company made Bellefontaine one of their main terminals.
There are many interesting facts in this area:
In addition to the rolling hills, valleys and historical beauty of this county, there are also several natural caves. Two are open to the public, Ohio Caverns and Zane Caverns. There are also two castles open to tours, The Mac-A-Cheek and Mac-O-Chee, both owned by the Piatt family. All of these are located in the beautiful Mad River Valley near West Liberty, Ohio.